remote x forwarding through ssh
WarrenHead
2007-04-25 19:34:50 UTC
Hi list,

I'm trying to use ssh to forward X from a local FreeBSD server to my
ubuntu machine.
I'm unable to get X forwarded. (ssh is working)

I set these options:
ubuntu:
/etc/ssh/ssh_config
Host *
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardAgent yes

FreeBSD
/etc/ssh/sshd_config
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost yes
UseLogin no

I didn't set the $DISPLAY variable, on purpose.

After I log into the server and start xterm (for instance) I get this
message: DISPLAY is not set.
SSH should do that for me but I guess it doesn't.
I don't know why.

I logged into FreeBSD with these commands:
ssh -v freebsd
ssh -v -X freebsd
ssh -v -X -A freebsd

What could be the cause? Client or server?

Cheers, Warren
Lowell Gilbert
2007-04-26 20:02:51 UTC
Post by WarrenHead
[...]
Did the (verbose) output from those commands mention X11?
Post by WarrenHead
What could be the cause? Client or server?
My guess would be server, although Ubuntu could always be doing
something weird.
Warren Head
2007-04-27 09:34:35 UTC
Post by WarrenHead
What could be the cause? Client or server?
My guess would be server, although Ubuntu could always be doing
something weird.
Hi list, I managed to get a few different machines under my hands and it
seems it is my Ubuntu machine which refuses to 'find' the $DISPLAY variable.

Of course I don't have a clue as to why, but I'm going to take that to the
ubuntu lists

Thanks for your time!

Cheers, Warren
h***@gmail.com
2007-05-24 16:32:18 UTC
I'm trying to usesshto forwardXfrom a local FreeBSD server to my
ubuntu machine.
I'm unable to getXforwarded. (sshis working)
/etc/ssh/ssh_config
Host *
ForwardX11 yes
ForwardAgent yes
FreeBSD
/etc/ssh/sshd_config
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost yes
UseLogin no
I didn't set the $DISPLAY variable, on purpose.
After I log into the server and start xterm (for instance) I get this
message: DISPLAY is not set.SSHshould do that for me but I guess it doesn't.
I don't know why.
Do you make an upgrade to Xorg 7.2 on your FreeBSD box ?

If yes, you have to know that xauth has change from /usr/X11R6/bin/
to /usr/local/bin/

Sympthom : ssh -v fail wiith a message "debug1: Remote: No xauth
program; cannot forward with spoofing."

Turn around: cd /usr/X11R6/bin/; sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/xauth

H-P Charles